Pickle Drop at Mt. Olive Pickles
New Year's Eve Pickle will drop into 2024
23rd annual event will be held at University of Mount Olive on December 31
Mt. Olive Pickle Company, Inc. will hold its New Year's Eve Pickle Drop Sunday, December 31 with the help of a few of its friends.
As in recent years, the 23rd annual event will be staged in front of the University of Mount Olive’s Kornegay Arena, and the Mount Olive Volunteer Fire Department will again assist with Tower 23, its ladder truck. From the tower, the glowing New Year’s Eve Pickle descends into a giant pickle jar.
“We are so grateful to both the University and to the fire department for their willingness to partner with us on the pickle drop,” said Lynn Williams, company spokesperson. “Their help has allowed the event to grow and change.”
The evening will feature live music, free pickles, food trucks, and a chance to win door prizes for those who contribute to the annual canned food drive for Food Bank of Central & Eastern NC. The event also continues its signature early schedule: everything gets underway at 5 o’clock, and the pickle descends at 7 o’clock sharp. A fireworks display immediately follows. The whole thing is over by 7:30.
New this year is Wild Ride, a Selma-based band that plays a wide range of country, rock and pop.
The New Year’s Eve Pickle Drop, first held in 1999 and attended by a handful of Mt. Olive Pickle employees, annually draws several thousand.
For those who can’t make it in person, watch it live on New Year’s Eve on the web at www.mtolivepickles.com.
In business since 1926 in its hometown of Mount Olive, NC, Mt. Olive Pickle Company manufactures the best-selling brand of pickles, peppers and relishes in the U.S.
- The New Year’s Eve Pickle Drop is an outdoor event. For those who can’t make it in person, we invite you to watch the festivities online at www.mtolivepickles.com.
- Physical address for the live event: University of Mount Olive, 634 Henderson Street, Mount Olive, NC 28365, in front of the George and Annie Dail Kornegay Arena
- Handicapped parking will be available
- Park anywhere on campus – www.umo.edu/
- Food trucks will be available to serve at 5 p.m., and the live music also starts at 5:00
- Video screens will count down the last hours of 2023, from 5-7 p.m.
- The pickle drops at 7 p.m. sharp
- Fireworks will begin immediately after the pickle lands in the jar.
- Free pickles courtesy Mt. Olive Pickle
- Bring canned food or financial contribution for Food Bank of Central & Eastern NC and receive a ticket for a door prize drawing. The grand prize is a pickle like the one that is dropped, without the lights.
- Bring your own chairs!