Mark your calendars: Mt. Olive Pickle Company, Inc.’s annual New Year’s Eve Pickle Drop will be held on Sunday, December 31, 2017 at the Corner of Cucumber & Vine in Mount Olive.
At the stroke of 7 p.m. midnight – that’s 7 o’clock EST, which also happens to be midnight Greenwich Mean Time. (That way, we are official, we shout Happy New Year! – and we don’t have to stay up until midnight.), the New Year’s Eve Pickle descends down the flagpole.
“This has turned into a great event for families and children, as well as older adults,” said company spokesperson, Lynn Williams. “It’s early, it’s quick, and it’s just a lot of fun.”
In the last several years thousands have turned out to watch the lighted, three-foot pickle drop down the company’s 45-foot flagpole and into a perfectly preserved redwood pickle tank at precisely 7 o’clock.
From 6-7 p.m, video screens mark the countdown of the year’s final hour. The Harmony Boys will perform from 5:30-6:15, and then deejay L.J. Manley will lead the crowd in line dancing. Free refreshments, including hot chocolate, cookies and pickles, are also served.
The canned food drive for the Food Bank of Central & Eastern North Carolina is another part of the Pickle Drop tradition. Anyone who brings canned food or makes financial contributions receive a chance to win door prizes at the end of the evening. The grand prize is a pool pickle similar to the one that is dropped.
- No pets, please.
- The company’s gift shop will be open that day from 3-7 p.m.
- Physical address for the Main Plant and Gift Shop: One Cucumber Boulevard, Mount Olive, NC 28365.
- Handicapped parking will be available at the company’s Front Gate.
- General parking is available on our plant site. Watch for directions. Immediately after the event, all gates are opened for a reasonably quick exit.
- For those who can’t make it in person, watch it live on New Year’s Eve on the web at www.mtolivepickles.com.
In business since 1926 in its hometown of Mount Olive, NC, Mt. Olive Pickle Company manufactures the #1 brand of pickles, peppers and relishes in the U.S.
For more information, contact Lynn Williams at 919.581.3628 or by email at email@example.com.