New Year’s Eve Pickle Drop
Monday, December 31, 2018
Mark your calendars: Mt. Olive Pickle Company, Inc. will hold its annual New Year’s Eve Pickle Drop Monday, December 31, 2018 at the Corner of Cucumber & Vine in Mount Olive.
The New Year’s Eve Pickle descends down the flagpole at the stroke of 7 p.m. midnight – that’s 7 o’clock EST, which also happens to be midnight Greenwich Mean Time. (That way, we are official, we shout Happy New Year! – and we don’t have to stay up until midnight.)
In the last several years thousands have turned out to watch the lighted, three-foot pickle drop down the company’s 45-foot flagpole and into a perfectly preserved redwood pickle tank at precisely 7 o’clock.
Video screens mark the countdown of the year’s final hour, from 6-7 p.m. The Harmony Boys will perform from 5:30-6:15, and then deejay L.J. Manley will lead the crowd in line dancing. Free refreshments – hot chocolate, cookies and pickles — are also served.
Another part of the Pickle Drop tradition is the canned food drive for the Food Bank of Central & Eastern North Carolina. Those bringing canned food or who make financial contributions receive a chance to win door prizes at the evening’s end. The grand prize is a pool pickle similar to the one that is dropped.
- No pets, please.
- The company’s gift shop will be open that day from 3-7 p.m.
- For driving directions to Mt. Olive Pickle, go to www.picklemap.com.
- Physical address for the Main Plant and Gift Shop: One Cucumber Boulevard, Mount Olive, NC 28365.
- Handicapped parking will be available at the company’s Front Gate.
- General parking is available on our plant site. Watch for directions. Immediately after the event, all gates are opened for a reasonably quick exit.
- For those who can’t make it in person, watch it live on the web at www.mtolivepickles.com.